Monday, November 18, 2019

Boiling Springs State Park, OK, Nov 5-12

I don't think we will be traveling this part of the country this time of year again but, in spite of the crazy swings in temperature, we are enjoying it.

Boiling Springs State Park, near Woodward, OK, is another park built originally by the CCC.  A lovely wooded area with a small lake, I think what I will always remember about this park is the number of armadillos we saw!  There was a lot of deer and we saw them all the time but the armadillos were definitely the main attraction!  I had fun shooting them (with my camera).  They have very poor sight and a couple of times I had to jump out of the way because they were heading toward me as I was shooting them.

It is called Boiling Springs because of the appearance of the water bubbling up through the spring, not because the water is hot.

We also visited Alabaster Caverns State Park while there. A pleasant surprise as we had not idea there was a caverns in the area.  They are as unique as all caverns are but I was not allowed to photograph inside.  The caverns is distinctive because not only does it have alabaster but it has a couple of veins of black alabaster which is very rare.




a red shouldered hawk
very overcast day



the spring covered for protection


the water "boiling" up through the ground







Such interesting creatures

just remember, don't touch!!

they carry leprosy

we had a flock of about 12 turkeys wandering around also



a regular visitor to our campground

these interesting, huge, pods are called horse apples and fall off the osage orange tree (not an orange tree)


the size of grapefruit, they are solid and heavy!


the horse apple fruit is not eaten by humans and rarely by animals but here is a squirrel munching on a very ripe pod



woodpeckers were abundant

lots of forest here



and lots of
armadillos!!!!!


I had to jump out of this ones
way as he was running down
a hill.  Did not see me standing
there!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam Museum, Austin, Minnesota

We were staying just a few miles away in Blooming Prairie and, of course, were going into Austin to a couple of breweries....how could we no...